Emerald City

Emerald City

Monday, February 8, 2016

Step 2: Meet with the Oncologist

Our oncologist is a friendly man who wears a Disney lanyard. This reminded me that not all cancer patients are adults. As nice as he was, I felt a rush of gratitude that our children have never had to meet an oncologist. As an adult who's brain is swimming in a foggy sea of details, I can not imagine trying to explain this stuff to a child. We are SO very fortunate.

The oncologist joked that I had a 'deer in the headlights' look on my face. Which I imagine was similar to a school picture from 4th grade... (See attached) Doh! Yep... that was a pretty accurate depiction of how I felt. 

It was a lot to take in today; I guess this is really happening... deep breaths. The sooner we start, the sooner it will all be over!

The low down: We are STILL waiting for the HER 2 test results, which will determine the type of chemo, but it looks like I will start chemo treatments on Thursday, February 25th. In the meanwhile, I will undergo several other tests and procedures: PET scan, MRI Biopsy, port placement surgical procedure, chemo class, genetic testing. 


What, When and Why
PET scan: 2/10: For an inside look from the eyeballs to the knees = peace of mind.
MRI Biopsy: 2/16: They need to take another biopsy while I lay face down in a machine and 'the girls' dangle free style. Good times... 
Port Placement: 2/18: They will surgically implant a port near my collarbone on the right-side to make it easier to draw blood, give IV and chemo treatments without sticking me with a thousand needles over the next six months. Yes please! 
Chemo class: 2/23: Think of it as a 'what to expect when you're expecting' except with a chemo curriculum. Finally a class with no final exam!
Genetic Testing: 2/17: Just cuz.
Start chemo: 2/25: To shrink the tumor & battle the cancer cells. Just sing "Onward Chemo soldiers..." instead of Christian soldiers; it's got an upbeat and steady rhythm.  

So, as all can see, our calendar is filling up! I am grateful for two exams and a looming internship project as well. Studying helps keep my mind from wandering... and over-thinking about the alternative is no bueno. Small group communication, media literacy education, interracial communication theory and human resource management practices are fascinating topics! I would gladly preoccupy my mind with these topics rather than think about what is currently happening inside my body. Getting lost in an occasional Downton Abbey episode is lovely as well! Bring on the British elitists!

Finally, thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone who is praying for our family! We feel very uplifted by your kind thoughts, comments, prayers and messages. 



2 comments:

  1. yay for getting everything scheduled and for getting the treatments going!! Happy you have school, family & of course, Downton Abbey to keep your mind preoccupied! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting sweet friend. I was working last Sunday and missed the Super Fast - so I will make one up on my own. I love you more than diet coke (and that is a lot!). :)

    ReplyDelete